Sunday, December 2, 2012

Moroni's Review of Of Monsters And Men's "My Head Is An Animal"

I actually meant to write this review some time ago.  But I actually forgot that I had downloaded it!  I never even got a chance to listen to it.  Early in the summer, my ex-wife had downloaded the single "Little Talks" by the band Of Monsters And Men, and I really liked it.  So I decided to get the entire album, and my computer filed it in a way that I forgot that I downloaded their debut album, "My Head Is An Animal"...  Until just a few days ago...

When I researched a bit about this band, I discovered that they are from Iceland!  I was surprised.  My previous experience with music from Iceland has been limited to the Sugarcubes, Bjork, and Sigur Ros.  I have to say that each of these bands has impressed me, especially with the way they developed without much regard to the mainstream.  I can say the same thing about Of Monsters And Men.  They are unique.

They are more than just unique.  This band radiates an innocence in their music.  They have been untainted by fame and success.  It shows in their music.  It is unpretentious and honest.  It reminds me of the innocence once possessed by 10,000 Maniacs - particularly on their first album "The Wishing Chair", and even more evident on "The Hope Chest".  They have a glow unlike bands like Innocence Mission.  These bands were making music that they wanted to make, not based on trends or based on what the record companies wanted them  produce.

I mean, this band features an accordion and a trumpet.  What more could you ask for?

This type of innocence doesn't last in the music industry.  I hope it endures with Of Monsters and Men.

I listened to this album with my wife Martha, and the first thing she remarked on was the unusual voice and singing style of... how do I spell this?...  Nanna Bryndis Hilmarsdottir.  She often sings in duet with the guitarist Raggi Porhallsson.  Their voices compliment each other very well, especially because their Icelandic accents shine through their English lyrics.  This is true on several pretty, little ballads on the album - "Slow and Steady", "Your Bones", and "Sloom".  "Six Weeks" is an anthem that sounds as grandiose as anything Arcade Fire has done.  The album starts out great with a haunting melody - "Dirty Paws".  My personal favorites are "King and Lionheart" and "Mountain Sound".

This is a very enjoyable album, and I definitely recommend it, especially if you are sick of the electronic glitz that abounds on the radio these days.  Enjoy some innocence.


No comments:

Post a Comment