Saturday, December 29, 2012

Moroni's Review of Django Django

My ten year-old daughter Sara browsed through my music, looking for stuff to put on the mp3 player she got for Christmas, she came across Django Django.  She wrinkled her nose.  "Sounds like old people music," she declared.

In a way, she is right.  Django Django does sound like something psychedelic out of the Sixties, but they only have one album, the self-titled album I am reviewing.  My wife Martha heard them, and she thinks they sound like REM.  I disagree.  But then again, REM took a page from the Sixties as well.  They kind of remind me of their Scottish compatriots, Sons & Daughters (who broke up recently), but Sons & Daughters also are influenced by music from the Sixties.

The album starts out with a catchy intro called "Hail Bopp".  This band has two amazing things going for them - great guitar jangle and layered harmonies.  The voices may remind me a bit of the Beach Boys, but more like Meat Puppets (who also were stuck in the Sixties).  This is evident on such rocking songs as "Default", "Firewater", "WOR", and my favorite, "Life's a Beach.".  There are also a couple of nice, mellow tunes - "Hand of Man" and "Love's Dart".

In addition to guitar, this band also has a penchant for electronica.  These songs I don't like so much.  From the dubstep "Waveforms" to the pseudo Middle Eastern "Skies Over Cairo".  My least favorite song is "Zumm Zumm".  I didn't like the Casio keyboard sound in the '80s.  Why would I like it now?  It sounds like a bad rendition of Mario Bros.

Other than that, this album rocks.  It will definitely being seeing some heavy rotation on my phone.  So if you want some new music that sounds like old music, this album is for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment