Sunday, December 16, 2012

Moroni's Review of Ellie Goulding's "Halcyon"

A few weeks ago, I posted a YouTube video of one of Ellie Goulding's videos, and I said something like, "How are there even Katy Perrys in the world when there are artists like Ellie Goulding?"  Or some post-modernist gibberish like that.  I got scolded by a few people on my list, and I wound up having to qualify with something like, "It is refreshing to find an artist who is more concerned about artistic integrity than marketing themselves, or producing meaningful music rather than an image."  That seemed to placate people.  Ironically, Ellie Goulding herself lists Katy Perry as one of her influences.

In the beginning of the summer of 2011, I was spinning music for the crowds on the fair circuit.  I had just discovered Skrillex, and Skrillex was the proverbial bomb.  Dubstep was relatively new to American audiences.  At a fair in Orem, Utah, a blond college girl complimented me on my music selection and jotted down on a post-it a musical suggestion.  It was the Bassnectar mix of Ellie Goulding's "Lights".  I went home and downloaded it that night.  It was amazing - a tidal wash of noise.  I added it to my repertoire the very next night.  A few days later, I downloaded the Jakwob remix of "Starry Eyed" to my mix.

Now jump to the end of 2012, and Ellie Goulding's "Lights" is BARELY breaking the waves of American radio.  I take such pleasure in saying things like this.  I was spinning that song a year and a half ago.  (I still think the Bassnectar mix is the best version of this song.)

So recently I downloaded Ellie Goulding's sophomore effort, "Halcyon".  I played it for my wife Martha, and the first thing she said, "This sounds like Tori Amos."  Maybe.  Maybe it's the soprano and the piano.  To me, it is more reminiscent of Imogen Heap, or '90s Norwegian band, Bel Canto.  (Anyone remember them?)  But mostly, she reminds me of Kate Bush.  The music is just as richly-layered and textured, just as dreamy as Kate Bush's music.

In fact, I don't see how Katy Perry could even aspire to be in the same league as Ellie Goulding, The musical arrangements are progressive and complex, all interwoven with  Goudling's breathy voice, darting in and out like a resplendent bird through the haunting chords.

The album starts out with the moving "Don't Say A Word".  It is songs like "My Blood", "Hanging On",  and "Dead In The Water" where she evokes Kate Bush.  Goulding was featured on a couple of songs on the new Skrillex album, so she is already a darling to the electronica community.  She pays homage to this on songs like "Only You", and my personal favorite, "I Need Your Love" with electro guru, Calvin Harris.

My only complaint is that the last track on the album is "Lights", even though this song was on her debut album.  For the benefit of newcomers, I suppose.

But - like Kate Bush, and unlike Katy Perry - this whole album transcends genres.  It is an album that I can listen to over and over again.  I definitely recommend this record to anyone who wants to break free from the garbage on the radio today.

No comments:

Post a Comment