Sunday, December 30, 2012

Moroni's Review of Alex Clare's "The Lateness of the Hour"

When I first saw Alex Clare's photograph, my immediate thought was - the coolest ginger from the UK to croon soul music since Simply Red.  My teenage kids have a different interpretation of him, but it's pretty spot-on.  "Dubstep Tracy Chapman."

First of all, you should know that he is mostly straight forward jazz and soul, as is evidenced in his songs like "Hummingbird", but he also has a penchant for drum and bass, as well as dubstep.  It makes for an interesting combination.

Before getting this CD  - his debut "The Lateness of the Hour" - for Christmas, I only knew him for his single "Too Close", which is a really great song.  However, I didn't know the artist or the title.  I only knew it as that dubstep song from the Windows 8 commercial.  I was pleased when my eldest daughter left me a copy of the CD in my stocking.  Dad is always pleased with new music.

The album starts out great with a grinding grunge and reggae song called "Up All Night".  It kind of reminds me of Skindred.  But the song is kind of deceiving, because it is unlike any other song on the album.  The next song, "Treading Water", is more indicative of the rest of the album.  It starts out with his soulful crooning.  (Yeah, Simply Red was a good comparison.) Then the song is driven by an infectious drum & bass beat.  The next song is my favorite.  It is called "Relax My Beloved", and this song is indicative of why Alex Clare is different from other electronic artists.  The song is a pretty melody with a music box and chamber orchestra, but lashed forward by a heavy dubstep wobble bass. It is brilliant.  In fact many of the songs, like "Hands Are Clever", use dubstep as punctuation.

There are a few songs that are reminiscent of Fleet Foxes.  All in all, this is a pretty good album.  But is one that may have to grow on me.  And it is hard to say if it will.  Only time and several more listens will be able to tell me that.  But for now, I can say that this guy is an artist, and he is talented.  And you got to respect that.


No comments:

Post a Comment