Sunday, December 30, 2012

Moroni's Review of Juan Magan's "The King of Dance"

Latin music is in my blood.  I couldn't get rid of it if I tried.  Growing up in central Arizona helped with that.  I didn't realize how deeply embedded it was in me until I moved to white bread Utah to go to college.  I definitely felt the absence of the latin culture that I had grown up around, had always been with me.  I can't help it.  I feel that rhythm when I hear it.  It's genetic.  I live in an area that has no Spanish-speaking radio stations, but, when I go down to Phoenix, as soon as I can pick up a radio station en español, the dial stops and stays there until I am on my way home, the signal turning into static.

I have been listening to Juan Magan singles all year.  In fact, this Spanish deejay has been pumping out singles for years and has never turned out an full studio album until now - "The King of Dance".  Listening to this album, there is not a single song that does not sink it's Spanish hooks into my blood, and I start moving involuntarily.  In fact, as I write this review, I am listening to the album right now, and I am literally bouncing as I type.  And that is the purpose of latin music - to get you moving.  Juan Magan does his job.

That said, like all latin music, every song kind of sounds the same.  Juan Magan has coined the phrase "electro latino", and that title kind of fits.  This album is clever melange of electro, house music, reggaeton, mambo, cumbia, some Dirty Dutch, and hip hop.  And even with all of those elements, it still all sounds the same.

And that is still not a bad thing.  Every song will have you dancing.  I guarantee it.

My only other complaint - Hey vato, lose the Auto-Tune.  It is fine once in a while, but not all the time, on every song!

Just about every song features a guest musician - Luis Lopez, Pitbull, Don Omar, Crossfire, El Cata, etc.  This album is a Latin All-Star effort.  The Don Omar song cracks me up, because the song is practically a re-write of Don Omar's hit "Danza Kuduro".  Oh wait, Don Omar's hit was just a remake of French-Portuguese artist Lucenzo's hit of the same name!  And now Omar owns the song!

The best songs are the opening track "Se Vuelve Loca"", the cumbia "Te Soñé", and the Pitbull song "Bailando Por El Mundo".  The last track "Bailando Por Ahi" is my favorite.  I wish that they had included the Spanglish version of that song with Crossfire.  That one is my preferred mix, but it is not found on this record.

This album will move you, but purely on the physical sense.  If you are looking for an album that will change your life or move the world, this is not it.  But it fun for a good 45 minutes.  And more fun to hit repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment