Friday, October 23, 2015

Metric Conversion: Metric Measures Up On "Pagans In Vegas"

Metric
If you have ridden for extended periods of time with me, you know.  If you have ever have received the ubiquitous CD mix from me, you have probably figured it out.  Metric is one of my favorite bands.  The ultra new wave "Fantasies" is probably in my top ten albums of the the last ten years, and I gave "Synthetica" rave reviews a few years ago.  Metric really measures up on their sixth studio album, "Pagans In Vegas", released on September 18th.

And how do I measure an album?  Before the review, I download the whole album to the phone, and, when I am done with my critique, I delete everything save the songs that I like.  I will be keeping this whole album on my phone.  Metric has done it again.

The record starts out with a finger-snapping jam named "Lie Lie Lie" where Emily Haines (who also performs with Broken Social Scene) sings the bitter, sarcastic lyrics with a sickly sweet voice.  The harmonies make it even more dangerous.  "Fortunes" begins mid-tempo with a Casio-sounding keyboard.  Only a band like Metric can make that sound work, and only Metric can load their songs full of hooks like their main single, "The Shade".  "Celebrate" explores their penchant for electronica with its sweeping chorus.  "Cascades" is probably my favorite song on the album - pure synth pop, complete with robotic vocals, yet avoiding sounding too cheesy, and actually turns out to be quite a beautiful tune.  "For Kicks" is their New Order rip-off, complete with a high-end, Peter Hook-style bass line.  Yet they pull it off, so we'll forgive them.  "Too Bad, So Sad" is their quintessential "Pagans In Vegas" song.  It sounds like a night out on the Strip.  If Metric gave a nod to New Order, then "Other Side", featuring James Shaw on lead vocals, is their homage to early Depeche Mode from their "Speak & Spell" days.  "Blind Valentine" is another Vegas song, except this one imagined in the bedroom.  "The Governess" once combines Haines's delectable harmonies with saucy lyrics.  The album finishes out with "The Face Part I" and "The Face Part II", two ethereal instrumentals.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you make the perfect album.  Metric is well-versed in crafting the rich and full-flavored pop songs.  They proved this a long time ago, and I have known this since I discovered them six years ago.  Metric makes new wave much more cool than it was in the '80s. At this point, they can rub our noses in it - they are good.  And they know it.


No comments:

Post a Comment