Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Meg Myers Wows Us With Her Debut Album

Meg Myers
Meg Myers is one of the most promising and most exciting artists to come out in a long time.  Earlier this year, I reviewed her two EPs, and you can read about them here.  These two EPs were the best thing I had heard in a while, so I was pretty excited for her debut album, "Sorry".

The only complaint that I have about the album is that there was not much new music here, but several tunes taken right off of her EP, "Make a Shadow".  Of course, the title track and main single, "Sorry", is a pop powerhouse that I have already reviewed.  But there is also the sexually charged "Desire", "Make a Shadow", and "The Morning After". which remains one of my favorite Meg Myers song with its music box waltz tempo.  I guess I can understand why artists do this.  Myers was breaking the scene with her EPs.  She wants to expose her music to a larger audience.  But I dislike this tactic.  I don't feel like I am getting new album, but rather another EP.

But the new songs - wow!  The thing that is fantastic about this artist is the amount of raw personal experience and emotion she puts into her music.  "Motel" is a strong opening with a beat that is at once melancholic and uplifting.  The only thing I dislike this track is the key change at the end, which is superfluous and redundant.  The song is already emotionally charged enough.  It doesn't need a key change.  "A Bolt From the Blue" is a jostling, happy pop tune that is uncharacteristic of Myers.  But she gets right back to the moodiness with "I Really Want You To Hate Me" where she uses the crashing waves of her voice to unravel her bitter emotions.  "Parade" is one of my favorite tracks, a somber ode to the uncertainty of love.  The second single is "Lemon Eyes", which was just made into a music video.  This is a good example of Meg Myers, and it really reminds me of "Mandika" by Sinead O'Connor.  The final track is "Feather".  This song is amazing.  I would buy this whole album just for this one song - the combination of her flitting vocals with a doleful guitar that explodes mid-song into fury.  I love it.

With her debut album, Meg Myers secures her place as one of my favorite new artists, and it is a good way to introduce newcomers to her music.  I can't wait to see what she does next.


No comments:

Post a Comment