Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Moroni's Review of Wild Nothing's "Nocturne"

I downloaded Wild Nothing's debut album "Nocturne" for no reason other than I liked their name.  I was looking to expose myself to new music.  One evening, my ex-wife Temple came over to my house to browse through my new downloads.  I played her Wild Nothing.

After listening to only a few bars, she turned to me and said, "They sound like one of those 80's bands that you listen to."

I had to give a deep sigh.  She was totally right.  They have a mellow, languid sound.  This is hair-in-your-face, shoegaze dream pop at it's best.  There is a little Jesus & Mary Chain.  There is some New Order there, or rather, Joy Division.  But mostly I hear Stone Roses.

My favorite tune on the album is the opener, "Shadow".It is a pleasant jangle pop song accented with an acoustic guitar.  Jack Tatum's voice is breathy and soft, almost shy.  The record blends into the second track, "Midnight Song".  I try to come up with descriptions of this song, but I'm sorry.  I keep thinking of Stone Roses, especially since that band will play a reunion show at this year's Coachella.  Some songs like "Through the Grass" and "Paradise" are electronically driven.

This album is beautiful and subtle like a spring breeze blowing over grass.  Yes, it will stir you, but it is not strong enough to grab you.  It is good music to have going in the background.  What I want is music that will knock me on my back and roll me over.  I am glad to have found this band, but it does not have the force that I need and require.

No comments:

Post a Comment