Wednesday, February 26, 2020

LONE DRIFTERS: Peter Koppes Speaks On Departing The Church and His New Band, Syncretism

Peter Koppes, photo credit Mark Bundy
Peter Koppes, one of the founding members of seminal rock band The Church, has been in the news this month as the band recently announced on its Facebook page that Peter had departed the band “to explore his own musical path”.  Koppes, who is responsible for The Church’s signature intangible, brooding, and yet silky sound from the beginning, also personally revealed that he had started an exciting new project with longtime friend and collaborator, Dave Scotland, called Syncretism.

First of all, I can’t speak of anything regarding The Church without explaining how much the they meant to me.  A young kid in a small, Arizona town finds a stack of vinyl in his brother’s apartment that includes “Séance” and “Heyday”.  These change him.  There is an iridescent, bohemian quality to the songs that redefine what rock can mean.  A couple of years later, a Dodge Charger races through the red rock canyons of Sedona, the young man searches for himself in the ghostly arroyos, stark terrain, and in the haunting chords of “Starfish” blasting through the speakers.  The young man is not a musician, but he discusses with his friends how the guitars create textures and landscapes that somehow don’t even sound like guitars.  Then, as he goes off to college alone, carrying a backpack, with “Transient” blaring through his earphones – a song by Peter Koppes – seeming to define him.  Needless to say, I have been a fan of the Church for a long time.

And in my mind’s eye, Peter Koppes is always on stage, standing statuesque, a shock of dark hair in his face, his guitar slung over his shoulder, coaxing sounds out of it that seem impossible.  He is undoubtedly a vital part of that legacy of The Church, putting out well over a dozen albums with them.  But never doubt his well-earned rank as a solo artist.  An inexhaustible songwriter, he has an enormous catalog of solo work and collaborations with many other bands and artists.  His work with Dave Scotland is especially exciting, because Koppes and Scotland actually used to be in a glam band called Baby Grande that predated The Church.

They are preparing to release a new album called “Lone Drifters”, and Koppes released a sneak peak on Syncretism’s Facebook page – a shining gem of a song called “Sirens”.  Initially, Koppes’ trademark guitar style is recognizable, but upon further listening, there are so many added layers unfolding that this song is instantly unforgettable – a veritable collage of the talents of both of these artists.  I also got a glimpse at another song called “Flood or Fire”, a song marked by glittery yet watery guitars and Scotland’s smooth vocals.  Both of these songs are very moving to me in a way that Koppes’ music always has been for me.  If these songs are anything like the rest of “Lone Drifters” will be, then I see this becoming one of my favorite albums of the year.  This timeless music, excellent by any standard.

I recently had an opportunity to talk to Koppes about his new project.  Check it out:

Moroni Lopez Jessop:  It was recently announced that you have departed The Church to pursue other creative interests.  Wow, such a long and prolific songwriting career that has spanned nearly five decades and many, many albums, as well as creating The Church’s signature guitar sound!  How does it feel to have such a long, distinguished career?  Is your work with your new band, Syncretism, the next logical step in your musical evolution?

Peter Koppes:  My ambition was always to create mature music that I could look back upon with respect for the art. My long career was probably afforded by the attitude to not sell out, but I don't believe making commercial music is necessarily bad like most of it. Syncretism is the result of my re-acquaintance with the amazing guitarist from my first original band the included the lead singer from The Church. He generously shared his extensive knowledge of guitar technique/ tones and now I have returned the favour by complimenting his music. Maybe ironic or not, it sounds like my former band but still it is an evolution.

MLJ:  Your new band is called Syncretism, which is defined as an amalgamation of different religions, cultures or schools of thought.  What was the impetus of this project coming together?  What ideas or concepts created a “syncretism” with you for this project?

Dave Scotland
PK:  Dave and I have always been in contact and recently reunited with the Canberra band drummer while I was visiting their area. Dave wrote some music afterwards that inspired me to add my guitar and effects as well as write lyrics for the song called Their Song about leaving people behind. Syncretism, in a music reference book, describes it when a music idiom is modernized, and the development of Beatles inspired music seems to be our manifesto. I would venture that we can bring together audiences from different genres especially guitar aficionados. We originally had Lone Drifters?  Which was the working title of a song but it sounded like a gang name, and nobody liked it, so it became the album title instead and everyone seems to wonder if they belong.

MLJ:  You’ve visited many diverse and far flung locations, including a recent trip to Japan.  Do these visits give you any inspiration for the music you write?

PK:  The next preview release called Flood Or Fire lyrics were written half way up the main Japanese skiing mountain in Hakuba while watching my teenage son learn to snow board. Bush fires were raging in Australia, and climate disasters had been worldwide that year. My family relationship was threatened also, so I conflated the metaphors.

MLJ:  Syncretism is a collaboration with your old friend, Dave Scotland.  How did the both of you meet, and did you hit it off right away?  What sort of interests do you have in common, musical or otherwise?  What originally drew you to Dave to want to work with him creatively?

PK:  I first me Dave at an inter-school band jam. I was the drummer but was learning guitar from our guitarist who was very competent. In a break, Dave launched into a perfect rendition of Hendrix version of Star-Spangled Banner, which startled everyone of course. He then was in a professional band called Frosted Glass, and he was also the lead singer but regarded as the best guitarist in Canberra, if not Australia. He joined my new band Baby Grande, we had a very good relationship bonding over music, but I left after a few years to travel and study. Now we are together again, I wonder why we didn't sooner, but I was very busy with band or my solo activities.

MLJ:  What feels different between Baby Grande and Syncretism?  What experience are you both bringing to the table?

PK:  Baby Grande was a juvenile punk glam rock band. Syncretism is more mature and intellectual music. I have been reminded of the parallels with Pink Floyd actually. This is Dave's recordings of his music and voice with my lyrics and contributions, though we co-produce the recordings. Our guitar difference is his lead guitar playing is exquisitely passionate and during one of his live solos, I have seen a fellow guitarist smoke a cigarette quickly down forgetting to remove it from his lips! My guitar style is more effects driven. I play some piano too. We both especially love 60's and 70's music and is evident in our orchestrations.

Peter Koppes, circa 1990
MLJ:  You’ve made your new song, “Sirens”, available to hear on social media.  Amazing song, by the way.  The combination of the guitar work and keyboards is just shimmering.  What can you tell be about the title of the song?  What is this song about exactly, and what meaning does it have for you?

PK:  Thanks for the compliment. 'Sirens' is mostly guitars and effects that sound like keyboards. This project has inspired my lyrics to be playful like Dr Seuss and with serious undertones for people with life experience. The working title was Hope And Courage and is about our trials and now the celebration our musical journey together. "We're supposed to necessarily have fun!"

MLJ:   Can we expect similar songs on the new album, “Lone Drifters”?  What is the concept behind the new record?  Is there any special process behind the way you brought this project together?

PK:  The album is almost complete, but the full story has not revealed itself yet. Ultimately, we would like a rich and varied album of songs that will thrill us and our audiences. So far so good, actually. There does seem to be a pervading theme for me lyrically to heal as usual and the music is providing a perfect vehicle! The process is just Dave and I having a musical conversation.

MLJ:  Your music has always had an esoteric quality.  As a listener, your music has always been a veritable spiritual, or even metaphysical, experience for me.  Do you see yourself as a spiritual person?  And is your music a spiritual outlet for you, and is this a factor in your creative process?

"I believe great music is a relationship with the metaphysical... It is based in love and has given me strength in the face of incredible adversities..."


PK:  Great question, because I believe great music is a relationship with the metaphysical. I have always been aware of the spiritual with much evidence of guidance and maybe protection from the other side. It is based in love and has given me strength in the face of incredible adversities. Transcendental Meditation sharpened its focus for me, and these days I almost let my destiny lead all the time. A large component of creativity is experimentation with the spiritual influence.

MLJ:  I have to ask, because I always wonder – what music influenced you the most while you were growing up and had impact on your guitar-playing?  Which modern bands or guitarists have made a particular impact on you today?

PK:  First song that I remember liking on radio was a version Blowing In The Wind. I loved great drummers and was thus inspired at first by the music of Hendrix, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Santana and The Who. My favourite musician is John Lennon who was a great and inspired guitarist which contributed to his great song writing too. Not well known is a great lead guitarist called Bill Nelson who inspired me, and Dave greatly with his unbluesy rock style. The most impressive modern guitar technique is My Bloody Valentine with the flying guitar sound using slow whammy chords.

MLJ:  Thanks for your time.  I’ve been a fan for a long time.  The first album I listened to was “Heyday” when I was sixteen years old.  It may sound cheesy, but I asked my teenage sons to learn and play “Under the Milky Way” for my fiftieth birthday next month, even though I know you’re not the composer of that piece.  It’s still one of the great songs you played.  I wish you were there!

PK:  By the way, Under The Milky Way was written on piano as were many great songs and many of my own. The melody is very spiritual and soulful so I can understand people enjoying the song at ceremonies.
Ps Happy Birthday!

You can keep up with news, release dates, and new songs from Peter Koppes and Dave Scotland on the Facebook page for Syncretism at:

No comments:

Post a Comment