Thursday, May 11, 2017

Smart Pop: Ingrid Michaelson's Latest Releases

Ingrid Michaelson
Oh, Ingrid.  If I ever gave you a tepid review, would it ruin my chances of having you as my next plural wife?  Not to worry - our relationship is secure.  Your seventh album, "It Doesn't Have To Make Sense" is okay!

I've been a fan of Ingrid Michaelson since her MySpace days and have all of her albums.  In fact, this is my third review of her material.  In 2012, I reviewed "Human Again" - still my favorite of her records.  And exactly two years and one day ago, I reviewed her last album, "Lights Out".

On her seventh effort, she continues her tradition of piano ballads, reminiscent of Tori Amos or Regina Spektor, snappy pop tunes, and smart lyrics.  Like on the last release, Ingrid relinquishes some of her creative control and brings on other songwriters to assist her, but her presence in both production and songwriting remains prevalent.

The album starts out with ""Light Me Up", a dreamy pop tune dominated with Ingrid's signature piano and plaintive voice.  "Whole Lot of Heart" is probably one of my favorites here, subdued and yet insistent.  I see smoke-filled cafe in the early dawn when I hear this.  "Miss America" , with its danceable electronica is probably the most commercially accessible song on here, addictive and effervescent.  Ingrid shows her vocal range with shivering trills on "Another Life".  On "I Remember Her", she does what she does best with just a piano and her voice.  The somber "Drink You Gone", with its orchestral accompaniment, she shows her lyrical prowess and tells an alcoholic story.  "Hell No" has an impeccable bounce and comes in as the album's first single.  "Still the One" and "Celebrate" hone her pop sensibilities, and the album finishes out with a whisper on another ballad with the wistful "Old Days" - just a piano and a faint accordion.

If having this album wasn't gift enough for diehard fans like me - tomorrow, on May 12th, Ingrid is releasing a new EP called "Alter Egos" that features refreshing versions of the songs on "It Doesn't Have To Make Sense" which includes a remake of "Whole Lot of Heart" with Tegan & Sara, "I Remember Her" with Lucius, "Drink You Gone" with John Paul White, an acoustic version of "Miss America with Sara Bareilles, who has performed with Ingrid before, and an amped up version of "Celebrate" with AJR.  If you are a fan, be sure to download this tomorrow.

Hopefully, Ingrid will keep making sweet music, and maybe one day she will accept my imaginary proposal without saying, "Hell no!"



No comments:

Post a Comment