Monday, August 1, 2016

Gaslight Anthem: The New Bosses of New Jersey

Gaslight Anthem
Gaslight Anthem was a band referred to me by gator wrestler and good friend, Jason McDonald.  He said that I would like them, and I do.  But that was back in 2014 when they released their fifth album, "Get Hurt", and I am just barely getting around to it.  He messaged me yesterday to say, "It's about time!"

He's right.  It is about time.  Luckily, this album is timeless.

Gaslight Anthem is a punk band that has transcended the hardcore designation to create something different, refusing to fit in the proverbial pigeon-hole to create something unique,  Like other bands before them - X, Social Distortion, and Against Me! - they blend classic rock, folk, and even country with punk elements to create a sound that is distinctly American.  This is Americana at its best.  On my first listen, I remarked for much their music sounds much like Bruce Springsteen.  Then lo and behold, I find out they hail from New Jersey, just like The Boss and have been known to play Springsteen covers.  The Boss has even played onstage with them a few times.  In fact, the band used to receive so any requests for Springsteen songs during their live shows that singer/ songwriter, Brian Fallon, finally announced, "I'm not Bruce!"

I find this blend of punk aggression with Bruce Springsteen's homespun All-American sound to be compelling.  I mean, you couldn't find a combination more incongruous.  It's rumored that punk aficianado, Anthony Bourdain, hates Springsteen so much that he will fire anyone who blasts it in his kitchen.  One critic said that it was like Springsteen let The Ramones produce "Hungry Heart".  And yet it works!  In a very pleasing way!
Get Hurt

"Get Hurt" was inspired by the breakup of Fallon's ten-year marriage, and the result is raw and powerful album that barrels through the emotions, from roaring anger to wistfulness to tenderness.  "Stay Vicious" starts out this collection with indignant guitars with Fallon sneering about how much his life has changed, and then it unlaces to a bittersweet chorus of scintillating guitars.  These changes from vexed to hopeful are what make this album great.  "1,000 Years"  continues Fallon's lament to the beat of the brutal guitars.  "Get Hurt" changes direction to a somber ballad with Fallon daring, "Might as well do your worst to me."  "Stray Paper" is a lovely pop-punk tune that reminds me a lot of Against Me!  "Helter Skeleton" is one of my favorite songs with its buzzsaw guitars and shredding vocals offset with a gentle but effervescent chorus.  "Underneath the Ground" starts with the Springsteen-sounding songs, but takes us straight back to hardcore with the thrashing "Rollin' And Tumblin'".  "Red Violins" is just a well-crafted song with smart guitar interplay and brilliant lyrics, with a country feel.  "Selected Poems" could be a song by The Killers, another band to take a page from Springsteen.  In fact, his vocals in this tune even sounds like Brandon Flowers.

Really, this is a great album.  I am totally into the Americana thing.  I have been since 10,000 Maniacs and R.E.M.   This sound reflects what is great about our country - great songs by great people.  I would recommend this album to anyone.






2 comments: