Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Real Estate Makes An Offer You Can Refuse

Real Estate
As I reviewed this album, I realized that, in our day and age, it is unfortunate to name your band a name like Real Estate, because, when you Google it, a plethora of other suggestions will pop up, like homes in Las Vegas.  You should pick something a little more catchy and unique - like "Sunny Day Real Estate" - that will specifically bring up your band.

For this review, I will be talking about the mild and pleasant New Jersey band, Real Estate, and their third album, "Atlas".  Now when I say "mild and pleasant", I mean it.  They have a nice sound - a '60s-tinged, Byrds-like sound, like R.E.M. without the Southern twang, like The Sundays without the female singer.  They remind me a lot of The Shins.

But they are also mild, like eating grits and nothing else.  It is filling, but ultimately not satisfying.  You want to reach for the Cholula and add some spice.  None of these songs really reached out and grabbed me at first.  It took several listens to get to really like any of it.  Don't get me wrong.  This is jangle pop at its best - just a bit sleepy.  The musicianship is superb.  And they are fairly critically acclaimed.  Maybe you need to see these guys live to get their magic.

There are a couple of songs that will find a place on my phone's playlist, like "Talking Backwards", "Primitive", "How Might I Live", and "Horizon".  My favorite song is "Crime".  I would drowsily listen to this album several time, only perking up when this song came on.  The rest are fairly forgettable.

I don't want to be mean and give a bad review to a band that is actually alright.  They are not bad.  But don't uproot anytime soon for Real Estate.  Stay firm on your asking price and wait for the market to shift your way.  Things can only get better.


No comments:

Post a Comment