Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Less Is Better: Review of Jess Williamson's "Native State"

Jess Williamson
Whenever I need new music, I contact my music guru, Nikki, and she sends new music my way.  One of the acts she shuffled my direction was Texas-native, Jess Williamson, one of the many performers at this year's prestigious SXSW festival in Austin, Texas.  I downloaded her debut album, "Native State", which came out last year.

First of all, I must say that this is my kind of music - very folksy, very minimalist.  It reminds me of the acts I used to see on 6th Street in Austin, or at Bandaloop's in Salt Lake City, or Fiddler's Dream in Phoenix.  Musicians who would get up with very few instruments and spin stories and emotions with haunting voices and as few notes as possible, crafting it seemingly out of nothing, out of cigarette smoke, the smell of coffee, and the attention of a mesmerized audience, caught in the glow of the music.

This aptly describes Jess Williamson's music.  There is a guitar here and there, or maybe a banjo.  She relies on her quavering voice and earthy lyrics to paint an impressionistic, gestalten image.  This is mood music, and what a mood I get when I listen to this.  It reminds me of other minimalist, artsy bands of the '80s that I used to listen to - like Area or Hugo Largo.

There are only seven songs on this album, and each one is resplendent.  Notable songs are "Blood Song" and "Native State".  My favorite, though, is "Field", with its use of strings.  It is absolutely haunting.

Word is that she is in the studio, recording new music.  I can't wait to see what she produces.  I'm willing to bet - if you haven't heard of Jess Williamson, you will soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment