Saturday, January 31, 2015

Golden Sunrise: Sir Sly's Tantalizing Debut

Sir Sly
This is what happens when amateur journalists get behind on their reviews.  I try to bring you new bands by reviewing debut EPs, and, in the interim between purchase and review, they release their first albums.

Such is the case with Sir Sly's four-song EP, "Gold".  I have it.  I have listened to this thing like crazy since its released.  But they already have a major album on Interscope that I have not listened to  I hope to.

Originally from Los Angeles, this trio has a big sound, primarily electronic, that creates huge orchestral landscapes.  Each song is slow and steady, moving forward with a purpose, inevitable like a glacier.  Huge sonic landscapes driven forward by stroboscopic electronic beats like insistent bursts of ultraviolet radiation on ice.

Probably the best song on here is the title track, "Gold".  This tune has made it on virtually every mix CD I have made in the last eight months.  An electric surge tempered by the layered vocals of singer, Landon Jacobs.  "Where I'm Going" and "Ghost" continue this exploration of musical horizons that is slightly reminiscent of Brendan Perry's work with Dead Can Dance.  The EP is rounded out by the happy "Found You Out", with a catchy beat and slightly sappy boy band feel.

These young artists show promise, the ability to stretch the definitions of pop music.  I am sure we will hear more from them in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment