Sunday, November 17, 2013

Moroni's Review of Hollywood Undead's "Notes From the Underground"

Hollywood Undead
Okay, there is not much that is too terribly original about this band.  They definitely take a page from Linkin Park, before that band veered off into experimental trip hop.  They wear masks a la Slipknot.  Regardless, these guys frickin' rock.  They are my flavor of the week.  I can't stop listening to this album.  I wake up in the middle of the night singing these songs.

Before I was introduced to these guys by Jason McDonald, my body-burning, gator-wrestling friend in Colorado, I had only heard a couple of songs by these guys.  Jason suggested that I take a break from reviewing indie bands and steered me in the direction of Hollywood Undead's third album, "Notes from the Underground".

First of all, any band who gives homage to Dostoyevsky in their album title is going to get my attention.

Next, this is an easy album to listen to.  None of this "after a few listens it grows on you" stuff.  I was jamming from the first scary tones of "Dead Bite", the hard-hitting opening track.  In our modern day, where internet and technology have brought cultures crashing together and created things like "fusion cuisine", is it so wrong that a band has such an eclectic sound?  Hollywood Undead has definitely brought an amalgamation of sounds together on this record.  There are hip hop, metalcore, electronic dance music, screamo, and dubstep, all mashed together in a bucket to create a monster of a good album.  There is even a harpsichord in "Believe", one of my favorite tunes.

Their strong point is that this band is an equal opportunity crew.  Everyone gets turn on the mic to MC.  What is amazing is that all of the members also play their instruments as they rap.  All of the band members have monikers.  I am not going to even try to try to figure out who is rapping on what song, but I have to say - whoever the guy with the falsetto voice is, he has a lovely voice as evidenced in "Lion", "Rain", and "One More Bottle".  The latter song is one of my favorite songs, definitely a drinking song.

My favorite tracks also include the rousing anthem "We Are", the pounding beat of "From the Ground", and the wobble bass of "Another Way Out".

So if you are looking for something new, something catchy definitely check out this release.  It still has me bouncing.  This is a fun, energetic record.  I don't know when my next review will be, because I am not putting this album away for a while.  Thanks, Jason.

No comments:

Post a Comment