Monday, May 7, 2012

Moroni's Review of Neon Trees' "Picture Show"

What do you say about a band from the town where I was born - Provo, Utah?  And what do you say about a band that is all Mormon, like me?

Well, first of all, Utah has always had an unhealthy obsession with the '80s.  At first, it was because lack of things like internet as well as the isolation of its majestic mountains keeping the latest trends and fashions from entering Utah's fat valleys.  It always seemed to me that Utah was always behind the times by about three years.  Even though I was born in Utah, I was mostly raised in Arizona - which, someone pointed out to me, is not exactly a cultural mecca.  But we do somewhat bask in the distant lights of L.A.

In 1990, when I moved back to Salt Lake City to go to college, '80s fixtures like Depeche Mode and the Cure were all the rage, even though I had already outgrown that years ago.  In a way, the '80s never went out of style in Utah.

Of course, Utah is not so provincial anymore.  Not only has it enjoyed one of the largest economic booms in the last ten years, along with a growing computer industry, but it has produced some pretty cool bands - like the Used and Neon Trees.

Yes, Neon Trees is a very cool band.  They were discovered in 2008 by the Killers (and Killers' frontman Brandon Flowers is also a Mormon).  That said, this is a band that I have wanted to get into  - but just can't.  I have to admit - in 2010, when I started hearing the hype about this band, I downloaded their first album "Habits" (along with its overplayed hit "Animal") as soon as it came out, but it was an entire year before I listened to the whole album.  I just could not get into it.  It wasn't bad.  It just didn't grab me.

And I feel the same way about their sophmore effort, "Picture Show".  (I just love saying the word "sophmore".)  It is catchy.  It is all glittery.  But it lacks substance.

My whole '80's diatribe is about this - just about every song by Neon Trees has an undeniable '80s vibe.  Neon Trees does not only have an influence, sometimes it is just a plain rip-off.  "Moving in the Dark" could be Tears For Fears.  (And is it me, or does the opening verse sound just like Gaga's "Born This Way"?)  "Mad Love" is a really, really, really, really (to quote the song) great song, but it sounds JUST LIKE older New Order.  And "Trust" sounds frighteningly similar to "Everything Counts" by Depeche Mode.

There are some excellent gems on this album - "Teenage Sounds" rocks with a new wave splendor.  "Lessons In Love" and "Close to You" have hooks galore.  My favorite songs are "Hooray For Hollywood" and "I Am the D.J."

The main single is "Everbody Talks", which - not only sounds exactly like "Animal" - but it is so overplayed that I can't stand hearing it anymore.  One funny thing about this song - my three year-old Avery laughs really hard every time he hears the guy clear his throat at the beginning of the song.  It doesn't matter how many time he hears it, he laughs.

So this is an okay album.  It is catchy - even though Neon Trees sounds just like Anberlin, a band I really respect.  But it is unlikely this album will undergo heavy rotation in my car, on my phone - anywhere.

STAND BY TOMORROW FOR MY REVIEW OF THE NEW ALBUM BY SILVERSUN PICKUPS, WHICH I AM DOWNLOADING AT 12:01AM TOMORROW - SOOOO EXCITED!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment