Thursday, January 15, 2015

A Great Big World Has Grandiose But Whimsical Debut

A Great Big World
Okay, the first thing I have to say is that I am really behind on my blog.  I have a stack of thirty albums that I need to review, so everything I review for the next little while will be late.

The first album I will be reviewing is the 2014 debut release by A Great Big World, a duo from New York, called "Is There Anybody Out There?".  I normally would not have downloaded this album, but I did so at the request of my former wife.  I posted on Facebook that I had purchased this selection, and immediately I got some strong reactions like, "Okay, if you like wimpy music!"

This truly isn't my type of music, but it's not all bad.  There are several decent songs on here.  My wife listened to this with me, and she pointed out that many of the arrangements - dominated by piano, strings, and brass - sound like the music from a kids' show.  It's true.  Several songs like "Land of Opportunity" and "Cheer Up!" sound like selections from "The Muppet Show".  They remind me of They Might Be Giants minus the sarcasm.

Of course, everyone recognizes the weepy single "Say Something" sung with Christina Aguilera, and "This Is the New Year", which was featured on "Glee", which is appropriate.  This band has a "Glee" feel.  There are some lesser known pop tunes that are pretty good on here like "Rockstar" and "I Really Want It".

But the favorite song shared by both my wife and me is the tongue-in-cheek "Everyone Is Gay".  It is so funny that I don't understand why this song is not a hit.  The GOP probably would probably stop it...

No comments:

Post a Comment