Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Moroni's Review of The National's "Trouble Will Find Me"

The National
About a month ago, I have never heard of The National.  Never mind that "Trouble Will Find Me" is their sixth studio album.  I was browsing through NME's "500 Greatest Albums of All Time", and The National had two albums on the list.  I noticed that they were a 4AD album, which you may know is my favorite label, home to Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, Clan of Xymox, Pixies, Bon Iver, TV On The Radio, and Iron & Wine.  I had to check it out.  Boy, am I glad that I did.

Like most 4AD bands, this record has an ethereal, atmospheric quality about it.  The guitars and percussion are subdued and tantalyzing, textured frequently with keyboards and strings.  Matt Berninger's voice is rich and deep like Ian Curtis from Joy Division or Andrew Gray from Wolfgang Press.  The songs also have a story-like aspect to them, like Nick Cave's songs.  They also remind me a bit of The Connells or The Airborne Toxic Event.  This album has a pleasant dreamlike and hazy quality to it.  It is already one of my favorites.

The album starts muted with the opening track, "I Should Live in Salt", with an acoustic guitar and soft oboe.  By the time song ends in a dim guitar solo, you are hooked.  "Demons" is one of my favorite tracks, a confession in Berringer's sultry bass-baritone.  "Fireproof", "Sea of Love", "Heavenfaced", and "I Need My Girl" are all haunting melodies and count as the best songs on the record.  "Graceless" is dominated by the bass guitar.

I can't believe it took this band six albums before I finally came late onto the scene and discovered them.  I have been ranting and raving about this album all week on Facebook.  Of course, I think in a matter of weeks, this band will explode onto the scene as they have a song on the new "Hunger Games"  movie.  But you should definitely hop onto the proverbial bandwagon before that happens.  Right now, while you can say you "heard of them back then."

No comments:

Post a Comment