Friday, October 14, 2016

Shoegaze Pioneers: Revisiting "Gala" by Lush

Lush
When I was young, I always prided myself on being up on music, and then, in 1990, I moved to Salt Lake City to go to college.  It was like moving into a musical black hole.

Utah is not like that now, home to bands like Neon Trees, The Used, and Joshua James.  But back then, it was always three years behind.  They had an alternative radio station, X96, but they were playing stuff like The Smiths, Depeche Mode, and The Cure.  As appealing as that sounds now, in 1990, that stuff was sooo 1987.

Now, I realize that Phoenix is no cultural mecca, but, in the days before internet, perhaps its proximity to Los Angeles made music a little more accessible.  It was home to Meat Puppets, Gin Blossoms, and a healthy punk and metal scene that included JFA, Junior Achievement, Mighty Sphincter, Sacred Reich, and Pedifile.  Not to mention an awesome alternative radio station, KUKQ, with its iconic deejay, Jonathan L, who organized the very first alternative festival, Q-Fest, before Lollapalooza was even dreamed of - right there in Arizona.

On Christmas Break, I went home to Arizona, and it was like coming up for water.  I went to my friend Steve's house, armed with a stack of blank cassettes to record any new music he might have.  One of those bands was Lush, a British band on the prestigious 4AD label.  The album was the compilation, "Gala".  Armed with new music, I went back to Utah and listened to these cassettes - a lot.  I was a college student, so I did a lot of walking and riding the bus with enormous headphones always on my head.
Gala

Apart from the colorful album cover by Vaughan Oliver and 23 Envelope, I noticed that Miki Berenyi's overdubbed vocals reminded me of Elizabeth Fraser's from Cocteau Twins - not a surprise coming from a 4AD band - except that the music, while still swirly and ethereal, was hard and biting, not like Cocteau Twins.  Lush, for me, was part of the next-gen lineup of musicians for the label.  In the '80s, it had been Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, Throwing Muses, and ending out the decade with The Pixies.  Lush, for me, represented the newness of the '90s, music that was unfamiliar to me.  Since being back from Utah, when it came to being familiar with the music world, I felt, for the first time, being out of my element, out of touch - a feeling I have felt often since in my many years.

Back then, no one knew to call it "shoegaze", although that's what it would be called eventually.  To me, it was swirly, watery music like Cocteau Twins, with a vocalist whose lilt was like Liz Fraser's, except pushed into the background - it was like that, except that it was harder, had an edge.  No one knew what shoegaze was back then, except that it is easier to see how things progressed and were influenced - all from the perspective of looking back in time.

At the end of 1990, 4AD wanted to introduce an American audience to the music of Lush, and so they released "Gala", which was essentially a collection of the three EPs that the band had released previously in the UK.  As a result, the groups of songs on this collection have a very different sound - different EPs, different producers, different feels.

The first EP was 1989's "Scar", produced by Jon Fryer, of This Mortal Coil fame.  The first album is raw and unvarnished, much like My Bloody Valentine's first album, "Isn't Anything".  This includes "Bitter", a dead ringer for The Smiths - the machine-like drumming, the fierce strumming just like Johnny Marr's, and Berenyi doing her best female Morrissey.  "Second Sight" is one of my favorite Lush songs, because it goes through several tempo changes - starting out billowing like My Bloody Valentine, picking up tempo like Throwing Muses with a punk gallop that would make David Narcizo proud with tremulous vocals emulating Kristin Hersh, and then devolving into chaotic noise like Sonic Youth.   "Etheriel" lives up to its name, and "Baby Talk" has rubbery guitar leads over a pounding bassline.  There are two versions of "Thoughtforms" - one soaring and the other clear and muted, as well as two version of "Scarlet", one an extended play.

In 1990, their second EP was "Mad Love", which are the songs that I perhaps know this band best for.  One thing that I didn't know was that this collection of songs was produced by Robin Guthrie of Cocteau Twins.  This surprised me, because I had always just assumed that Guthrie had unwittingly influenced the shoegaze movement from afar, but here he actively produces a record that defines the sound.  The songs here are clearer and uninhibited.  If they resemble Cocteau Twins, then it is mainly from the early era where Cocteau had a more primal, less ethereal, sound, like the 1983 John Peel Sessions or on the EP "Peppermint Pig".  "De-Luxe" is arguably the most recognizable song by the band with its guitar hooks swathed in reverb, and Berenyi doing her vocal acrobatics.  "Leaves Me Cold" is perhaps one of my favorite songs with the guitars turned down to a gothic chill and Merenyi's vocals descending into dark scales, a strong bass ascending over the screeching guitars.  "Downer" is the perfect shoegaze song - aggressive and hard with angelic harmonies offering a musical contradiction.

The songs from their third EP, "Sweetness and Light", are perhaps the most uninteresting as the band seems to settle into what people would think shoegaze sounds like.  The songs - the title track, "Sweetness and Light", "Sunbathing" and "Breeze" - drift like dandelion chaff on a summer wind, coalescing and swirling, the flitting guitars nearly distinguishable from the hushed vocals.  They are good songs, but not nearly as unbridled and throaty as the other songs.  There is also a lovely cover of "Hey Hey Helen" by ABBA, which sounds as if it by done by Sex Pistols fronted by Kate Bush - in other words, sublime.

After taking a nearly twenty-year break, Lush reunited last year, releasing a brand new EP earlier this year (that I might have to review), as well as embarking on a tour with newer shoegaze artist, Tamaryn (whom I will review soon).  It pleases me that this band got back together, as they were so important to me in my youth, being at the front of a genre that is still my preferred style of music.  Now, if we can only get Cocteau Twins to reunite...



No comments:

Post a Comment