Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Warpaint Counts Coup

Warpaint
Since I first discovered them last year, I have become obsessed with this band.  Especially in the last few weeks since I have been preparing for this review.  I always look for new and innovative music.  And Los Angeles's Warpaint is just that.

For this review, I am reviewing their 2008 debut EP, "Exquisite Corpse", and their 2014 eponymous second album.

How do you describe their music?  Haunting, minimalist, atmospheric, dreamy...  Their sound is dominated by strong bass rhythms, a sandpaper wash of percussion, and raining, subtle guitars.  Emily Kokal is the primary vocalist, and yet all of the band members lend their voices to create breathy harmonies that wash gently over the arrangements. They definitely have a strong female vibe, the kind found in other bands like The Bangles or Throwing Muses.

"Exquisite Corpse" was produced and engineered by former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist, John Frusciante with guitars and drums added by current RHCP guitarist, Josh Klinghoffer.  I love when well-established musicians will go out of the way to discover and promote up and coming musicians.  And this EP is a strong start for these ladies.

"Stars" opens the EP and is one of my favorite tracks, starts muted with no drums, the guitar notes falling like a sprinkle of spring rain, the vocals hushed, and then it gradually tightens and mounts slowly, wistful longing swaying from the voices, never quite giving in to frenzy.  "Elephants" scratches away in an insistent manner that shows that these artists understand psychedelia.  The haunting "Billie Holiday" is a moving piece that consists of the band spelling out the title of the song.  It is so catchy that I would say, not only is it my favorite song, but a favorite of all my kids, from younger to older, who walk around the house singing this song.  "Beetles" demonstrates how versatile these girls are, complete with several delicious shifts in tempo.  The other songs - "Burgundy" and "Krimson" are just as delectable.

Their debut album, "The Fool", came out in 2010.  I don't have it yet, but I have listened to a couple of tracks like "Shadows" and "Composure", and I like what I have heard.  Honestly, this album will be my next download.

Their second album, "Warpaint", is just as ethereal and ambient.  Although the band relies more on smoky electronic drumbeats and languid electronic loops to sustain their vibe.  It works, though, in songs like "Hi", "Disco // very", and "Feeling Alright".  But their signature sound is there - the torrential vocals, the smoky guitars, all sounding like something out of "Twin Peaks".  My personal favorites are "Keep It Healthy" and "Love Is To Die".  The first time I heard these thoughts, I immediately thought, "This is my kind of music."

I am very glad to have discovered this band.  They are simply refreshing, and you would be remiss if you did not join their war party and head into their mystic, sonic landscape.



No comments:

Post a Comment