Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Moroni's Review of Frankie Rose's "Interstellar"

Frankie Rose
I have a theory that most of the '80s alternative acts were influenced largely by music of the '60s.  R.E.M. took a page from the Byrds, and Joy Division admittedly worshiped the Doors.  Furthermore, most of the alternative acts today find their roots in the music of the '80s.

I first downloaded Frankie Rose's solo album, "Interstellar", when a friend posted a link to one of her videos on my Facebook page.  One of the comments described her as "post modern + Cocteau Twins".  So I took a listen.  Sure enough, like most shoegaze acts that have ever existed, Cocteau Twins - who are probably  my favorite band ever - are a huge inspiration to this music.  This is especially true with Frankie Rose.  Her vocals on songs like "Know Me" and "Had We Had It" evoke Elizabeth Fraser's distinct vocal style and layering.  There are the swirly guitars, the dreamy sound, and ambient arrangements.  On "Daylight Sky" and "Moon In My Mind", there is even a bass solo that could be Will Heggie, from Cocteau Twin's early days.

Cocteau Twins were always known to have a unique sound that people could not classify, and yet they were even influenced by acts like Kate Bush, as well as '60s acts like the Shangri-Las.

I had never heard of Frankie Rose, and so I did a little research.  She had been in such acts like Crystal Stilts, Dum Dums, and Vivian Girls.  When I checked out the music of these bands, I was surprised to learn that all of them had a faux '60s vibes - mimicking girl bands from the '60s like the Shangri-Las.

It has never bugged me when music is influenced by music from another era.  Everything is influenced by something.  For me, I like it.  It is a reminder that my tastes are still relevant, and it stirs up nostalgia for other days.  I am certain that this album will be nostalgic for me someday.

This whole album is very good.  It has a very ethereal quality to it and is richly textured.  My favorite song is probably "Night Swim".  If you don't check out the whole album, at least listen to this one song.  It would make any playlist that much more diverse.  In the meantime, this whole album is on heavy rotation on my playlist.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment