Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Moroni's Review of Yeah Yeah Yeah's "Mosquito"

When I downloaded the Yeah Yeah Yeah's album "Mosquito", I really didn't know much about the band.  They were a band that I had heard of for the last ten years, but really hadn't listened to.  I wanted to listen to something new.  Then, on a whim, I decided to check my laptop to see if I had any more of their music.  Lo and behold, I had their entire catalog already there.  I don't know where I get this stuff.  So I was fortunate to be able to acquaint myself with their music a bit before I did this review.

I will admit - they will never be one of my favorite bands.  They are "alright", but this particular album - "Mosquito" - is by far their best, production-wise and creatively.  There are several songs on this album that will remain on rotation on my phone.

They originate from the New York and Los Angeles art-rock scene at the beginning of the last decade that included bands like the Strokes, White Stripes, OK Go, and Metric.  All of these bands seem to have a similar vibe. 

The album starts out beautifully with the infectious "Sacrilege", which is the main single.  The rhythm - driven by percussion and a funky bassline - wants to pull you unwillingly to your feet and dance.   Karen O's voice is breathy, and her falsetto flits around the lead guitar.  The song ends with a gospel chorus.

The next song is perhaps one of my favorite tunes.  To me, it displays the artistic sensibility of this band.  It is called "Subway".  The song is soft, with subdued guitar and bass.  Karen O whispers the lyrics, and the percussion mimics the sound of a subway car going over the tracks in a hypnotic beat.  I close my eyes with this song, and I can see New York in the wee hours of the morning.

The next song is the title track of the album, "Mosquito".  And just like the insect the song is named after, the song is annoying and aggravating with it's jackhammer riveting, and the screamed lyrics of "I'll suck your blood!"  If you can get past the annoying first half of this song, the second half is actually really cool, but only the last minute of the song.

In fact, there are several songs on here that are shrill and annoying - "These Paths", "Area 52", and "Despair".

But then there are some awesome songs that I swear I am listening to Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Under the Earth", Slave" (which is my favorite song), and "Buried Alive" (with a cool guest rap by Dr. Octagon).  There is an unmistakable influence, with the scratchy, gothic guitar sound of "my" decade.  But not all unpleasant.

So Yeah Yeah Yeah's - nice to finally meet you.  I have heard a lot about you.  Not a bad sound on this album.  We'll see what you come up with next

No comments:

Post a Comment